National Small Business Week April 29-May 5, 2018
April 29-May 5 is National Small Business Week
The Dubuque Area Chamber of Commerce supports small business and there’s no better time to do that than National Small Business Week, April 29-May 5! Every year since 1963, the U. S. President issues a proclamation announcing National Small Business Week, which recognizes the critical contributions of America’s entrepreneurs and small business owners.
As a part of National Small Business Week, the Chamber encourages you to post a “Small Business Selfie” directly to the Chamber Facebook page of you shopping at a local small business. Everyone who submits a photo will be entered to win a prize at the end of National Small Business Week!
Small Business Facts
- There are nearly 28 million small businesses in the U.S. Of those 28 million, a full 22 million consist of one lone employee.
- Over 50% of the 120 million Americans in the workforce work in a small business.
- The fastest growing sectors in the world of small businesses include auto repair shops, dry cleaners, and beauty salons.
- Since 1990, large companies have eliminated 4 million jobs—but small businesses have added 8 million new ones!
- 49% small businesses have been created since 1982.
- Small businesses inspire innovative ideas twice as much as big businesses, and tend to produce environmentally-friendly products.
- In 2011, the total revenue from all American small businesses reached $989.6 BILLION.
- According to a Forbes study, 12.5% of small businesses are made up of immigrants from other countries.
- In 2013, 52% of companies found new customers on Facebook.
- Approximately 543,000 new businesses are started each month.