Young Professional Symposium
YP Symposium on November 15, 2017
The Dubuque Area Chamber’s Young Professional’s Symposium is designed to give its participants an out of the box look at development. Whether it be professional or personal, we strive to present to our members information that will matter as they progress in their career. We want to be that local resource where Dubuque’s workforce attends our events to help them flourish and succeed.
YP Symposium schedule of events
11 - 11:30 a.m.: Registration
11:30 a.m. - 12 p.m.: Networking and Businesses You Should Know EXPO
12 - 1 p.m.: Lunch and Keynote speaker Bill Marklein from Employ Humanity on Emotional Intelligence: Awareness, Adaptability & Empathy for 21st Century Leadership Emotional Intelligence (EQ) is the ability to effectively manage our own emotions and the emotions around us and it is quickly becoming the #1 competency for workplace leadership and success in the 21 st Century. Everybody is looking for a better human connection experience. With the rapid acceleration of technology, artificial intelligence, distractions, change and stress—EQ is even more crucial for building healthy, trusting relationships both personally and professionally to advance your career. Most importantly, building a healthy relationship with yourself.
1 - 1:15 p.m.: Networking Break
1:15 - 2:15 p.m. Breakouts. Pick one of the three breakouts offered to attend.
- Michelle Gnida with Dale Carnegie training – Networking IQ For most of us, having a high Networking IQ is crucial to our success. In the midst of ever-changing technologies, how do we boost our Networking IQ? According to Merriam-Webster, the definition of networking is “the exchange of information or services among individuals, groups, or institutions; specifically: the cultivation of productive relationships for employment or business.” If you notice, the premise of networking is “exchange” and the “cultivation of productive relationships.” And yet, so many people make this a self-centered one-sided conversation of desperation. Participate in this fast-paced, interactive workshop to learn an effective way to build new relationships by asking questions and engaging various levels of your network in conversations around their needs and their business. You will strengthen your first impression and add to your personal and business network.
- Bill Marlein – A Deeper Dive Into Emotional Intelligence & Being Human Online An engaging discussion on Emotional Intelligence in and outside the workplace, provide practical ready-to-use strategies to improve your Emotional Intelligence and attendees will take a brief Employ Humanity Emotional Intelligence self-assessment. Marklein will also facilitate a conversation on what it means to be human online building relationships on social media.
- Stacey Hines & Scott McGuire – What the heck is Work/Life Balance? Anyone ever told you there is such a thing as work/life balance? They lied. What we have is work/life harmony. New children, new marriage, new job, new home, new city; it can be overwhelming. Let Stacey and Scott share how they survive.
2:15 - 2:30 p.m.: Networking Break
2:30 - 3:30 p.m.: Breakouts. Pick one of the three breakouts offered to attend.
- Michelle Gnida with Dale Carnegie training – Capitalizing on NetworkingThe Next Step!: Almost every product or service on the market today has competition. People may even believe your solution is interchangeable with what your competitors offer. Does your new prospect know what sets you apart? In this workshop you will create your Unique Selling Proposition and a Credibility Statement. Both will allow you to communicate your value, establish credibility, and quickly explain why your solution is better than the rest.
- Pamela Mumm – High Performance Meetings Are you experiencing ‘Death by Meetings’? Is it 3 hours you will never get back? Want to be a meeting hero? Join Pam as she presents on a subject in which everyone benefits.
- Barry Gentry – Start a Tab Don’t just buy their drinks. Get their business. A sure fire way to tee up without ever swinging a club.
3:30 - 3:45 p.m.: Networking Break
3:45 - 4 p.m. Announce winner of the Meghan Hackett Award and a word from YP President, Digger Kurt
4 - 5:00 p.m.: Closing Keynote speaker Anissa Starnes, Swingbridge Consulting – Step Up and Step Out
5:00 p.m.: Cocktail Social
$99.00 YP Members
$149.00 YP curious
$750.00 Sponsored tables of 8