Young Entrepreneurs Academy (YEA!)
About Young Entrepreneurs Academy
Over the course of 25 weeks, the Young Entrepreneurs Academy (YEA!) teaches middle and high school students how to start and run their own real business or social movement.
Developed at the University of Rochester in 2004 with the support of a grant from the Kauffman Foundation, YEA! has graduated over 4,000 students across the country who have started over 3,000 businesses and social movements! YEA! graduates start the program as students, and leave as CEOs of their own companies!
The Dubuque Area Chamber of Commerce is excited to bring YEA! to the Dubuque community!
Over the course of the program, students:
- Brainstorm business ideas
- Write a business plan
- Interact with business professionals
- Pitch their business plan to potential investors (think ABC’s “Shark Tank”!)
- Obtain funding
- Legally register their businesses
- Participate in a trade show
- Actually launch their own businesses or social movements
This program offers students the chance to:
- Develop hands-on entrepreneurial experience
- Learn about real businesses - why they succeed or fail.
- Hear from local entrepreneurs.
- Become more confident in their ideas and abilities.
Through interactions with business professionals during the year, YEA! students gain some of the most important knowledge and experience they need to succeed.
Local professionals volunteer their time and expertise as instructors, guest speakers, mentors, investors, graphic designers, field trip hosts, business plan reviewers, and much more.
The time YEA! students spend with adults who encourage their futures is invaluable, and participants often report getting more out of their participation than they put into it!
To register as a student in the 2018-19 YEA! Dubuque class click here to fill out an application.
Know a student who would be a great fit? Click the nomination button below!
YEA! Graduate on Shark Tank!
Rachel Zietz is a 2012 graduate of the YEA! Boca Raton Chamber of Commerce class in Florida. She is the CEO of Gladiator Lacrosse, and appeared on ABC’s Shark Tank in May 2016.
View her on Shark Tank HERE